Graffiti in u'r Body

Tuesday 19 October 2010

Leftovers: Italian Mashed Potato Pancakes

Most people love the day after Thanksgiving for turkey sandwiches. I like the potato pancakes. Our family makes what we call Italian mashed potato pancakes, from a recipe we got from my grandmother. The pan fried pancakes are made from leftover mashed potatoes, Italian-seasoned breadcrumbs, chopped fresh Italian parsley, an egg, grated parmesan cheese. When I was growing up, we had them whenever there were leftover mashed potatoes and mom put ketchup on the plate for me and my brother so we could dip warm pancakes in the cool ketchup, much like the way we used maple syrup on breakfast pancakes--it's still comfort food for me. I called Mom for the recipe recently and she gave me the ingredients listed above. Measurements? I improvised. Truth is, it depends on the amount of mashed potatoes you're starting with. What I did is approximated below; you can scale according to your own amount of leftovers.

Italian Potato Pancakes
4 cups of mashed potatoes
2 cups of Italian-seasoned breadcrumbs
1/4 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
1 egg
Olive oil for pan frying
Ketchup

Blend ingredients in a bowl. Heat olive oil in frying pan while you form pancakes. Pan fry on medium heat. Add additional oil if needed. Serve and enjoy (ketchup optional).

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Graffiti in u'r Body